Pages

Friday 25 October 2013

Career Crisis

I’ve had my entire life planned out since I was in primary school and now I’m in third year at University (about to go out and start living it) I begin to have reservations. #panic

An ex-actor came to the University recently and had a talk with us about the realities of going into the biz. It shook me up a bit. Anyone going into this business never REALLY thinks they’re going to be spending more time working in Sainsbury’s than as an actor, but that’s the truth! After honestly assessing my skills and my level of passion in this area I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s not for me.

(Big sigh of despair)

The ex-actor who spoke to us gave us a scenario to imagine in order to really understand whether we were ready for the harsh realities of show business.

Imagine you are approaching an important birthday of your closest loved one. You have been arranging an exciting surprise party for months. Everyone you know is arriving, people you haven’t seen for years. An hour before the party starts, you get a call, you have an audition in half an hour.
Let’s say the audition isn’t even a big deal, it isn’t your big break it’s just another job.
Do you go?

My romantic view of life tempted me to answer with “yes, of course, anything to act” but actually… When I finally allowed myself to answer honestly I realised that my passion wasn't enough.


After a lovely meal with my dad and step-mum this weekend (at Pizza Express - even tastier when you don’t have to pay for it) they assured me that no one knows what they’re going to do in life. Even when you’re out there living it it’s still a mystery.

So, for now, I’m just going to set myself the task of planning next year. After that… who knows?!


Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to become an investment banker any time soon and I will NEVER give up performing. I've just got to jiggle things about a bit.


Never realised growing up is so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment